Thursday, July 8, 2010

yellow dogs


EXT. OIL RIG TEXAS- DAY

The manager walks up to a large group of men wearing hard hats and tool belts.

MANAGER

Larry you and Smith come with me I got a job for you. You two guys over there by the shade. You guys are working the pipes today.

Some men in the back chuckle as the two guys appointed look each other over.

MANAGER

Alright lets get to work.

JIM

My name is Jim.

JIm a larger husky man with a beard and red cheeks smiles at his new work buddy.

JIM

Well you got a name stranger?

FLAME

Yeah they call me flame.

Flame is a tall skinny guy with a humble face.

JIM

You ever do this before?

FLAME

No but, I’m a quick learner.

EXT. OIL RIG TEXAS- NIGHT

JIm and Flame both guide a large steel pipe into position. Jim puts a lock around the pipe and Flame gives a thumbs up to the man operating the lift.

JIM

Well I sure could use a beer right now. Want to go out for a drink? This town has a half decent bar with a pool table and who knows we might stumble up on some beaver.

FLAME

Maybe if you take a shower first.

JIM

The women round here love the smell of a hard working man. The fact that we work on an oil rig helps cause they know we are getting good pay.

FLAME

Well there is a hose around back if you want to wait.

JIM

I’ll wait flame go clean yourself off.

EXT. PARKING LOT- NIGHT

Flame walks up to Jim’s car holding his shirt in his hand. His clothes are wet and rung out.

JIM

What you do wash your clothes too?

Flame laughs.

FLAME

They’ll dry out.

Flame jumps in the car and the two take off down the country road.

FLAME

You care if I smoke in here?

JIM

I don’t my girlfriend might. You know, fuck it. Go ahead just roll the window down.

Flame offers Jim a cigarette.

JIM

No thanks I don’t smoke. You know The only reason I’m doing the here job is because, I’m saving up for a ring. I’m going to get the biggest damn diamond my pretty little baby has ever seen. Hell that’s were most of my money is going. After that I’m getting off this rig. Getting a desk job. Something real easy and low stress. I might take a pay cut but, it would be less risk. That damn oil rig could blow any day.

FLAME

Do you think about that alot.

JIM

Hell no you caint and do what we do. I’m just doing it for another two more year by then I’ll have had all them carrots paid for.

EXT. BAR- NIGHT

Jim and Flame stumble out the bar with two country girls.

JIM

Ok Ladies, where is he party?

LADY 1

I don’t know with you.

The girls continue to walk to their car.

FLAME

Hey! Where are you going.

LADY 2

We are following you guys.

The women jump in their car as the bartender walks out.

JIM

If you are following us why are you leaving.

LADY 1

Bye.

FLAME

That’s just rude they could have just turned us down.

BARTENDER

The bar is closed you fellows are too drunk to come back in here.

FLAME

Come on old man you going to sit back and suck down all tha whiskey yourelf.

BARTENDER

The bar closed you guys got to go.

JIM

Come on sale us a bottle before you close.

The bartender slams the door and turns off the light. Jim is urinating in the parking lot. He zips up his pants.

JIM

Come on man lets get out of here.

INT. JIM’S CAR- NIGHT

The two head down a dark two lane country road.

JIM

Where am I dropping you off at?

Flame sips his beer and points to the road.

FLAME

By the rig.

JIM

What well hell how close?

FLAME

Just start driving there and I’ll point you in the right direction.

EXT. DIRT ROAD- NIGHT

Jim pulls over the car and gets out in a hurry.

JIM

You mean to tell me you live out here in the woods. YOur fucking with me. I just don’t believe you.

FLAME

I got a tent set up right on the other side of that hill line.

JIM

Why are you living out here.

FLAME

I like it.

JIM

Doesn't it get a little lonesome I mean don’t you have any family.

JIM

I’m not trying to get in your personal buisness just a man living out in the woods like that in tent. Not in this day in age. Say you ain’t in no trouble with the law.

FLAME

I’m an honest man I wouldn't hurt a fly. Truth is I don’t know my real parents. All I know I my foster dad beat the shit out of me until I was old enough to whip him then I got the hell out of there.

JIM

When someone tells me they aint got no family and no home it just don’t sit right on my heart having you sleeping out here in that tent. You can do what you want tomorrow but tonight your staying on my couch.

FLAME

I wont disagree to that but, I might say let me grab my flask of whiskey out the tent.

JIM

I’ll wait for you ten minutes but any longer than that Ill assume youve been mauled by a panther.

INT. JIM’S APARTMENT- MORNING

Jim’s in the kitchen cleaning some dishes. Flame crawls off the couch holding his head and looks at his wrist watch.

FLAME

I feel like shit.

JIM

You drink whiskey after beer your asking for a hangover. There is an extra burrito in the oven. That and some water will cure you up. That’s the good news bad news is some guys quit on the rig and the boss man wants me and you to pull the night shift. I can’t speak for you but, I need the money.

FLAME

I need the money too.

JIM

Well I’ll tell him your on for tonight.

EXT. OIL RIG TEXAS- NIGHT

JIm and Flame are putting the pipes in place. JIm smiles and a worker screams.

WORKER

Look out!

The robotic arm hits a pipe knocking it loose from its harness.

FLAME

Jim

The pipe lands on Jim crushing him. Flame rushes over to JIm who gushes with blood. He gasps for air and tries to say something.

INT. OIL RIG TEXAS- NIGHT

The manager sit across a large oak desk from Flame.

MANAGER

What can I say. This was and unfortunate event. He knew the risk and I know now you do to.

The manager slides a hudred dollar bill across his desk to Flame.

MANAGER

Take the next couple of night off and enjoy it.

Flame doesn’t reach for the money and the manager gets up from his chair and walks up behind Flame. He picks the bill up off the desk and folds it then stuffs it into Flames shirt pocket.

MANAGER

I’m advancing this to you out of your check. Go out to a bar have a few drinks.

EXT. WOODS- DAY

Flame takes apart his tent and packs his stuff into his back pack. He snaps a boot knife on his ankle and starts to walk down the dirt road.

Flame watches a freight train barrels down a tracks in the distance.

EXT. TRAIN TRACKS- DAY

Flame walks by the tracks and looks down at a dead man laying face down beside the tracks.

FLAME

Let’s see who you are pilgrim.

He turns him over and unzips the guys fanny pack. Flame pulls out a piece of paper and unfolds it.

FLAME

This here body is Cadillac Casey. I’ve live under the stars and seen the most beautiful sights. If your reading this that means I’m dead. If you want take my knife it’s protected me for twenty years. Your also welcome to take my shoes if they fit and any change in my pocket. Your brother. Cadillac.

Flame looks around then takes the dead man’s knife and walks up to the approaching train.

A hobo watches as flame runs to catch a handle on one of the trains many box cars.

INT. TRAIN CAR- DAY

The hobo approaches Flame as he catches his breathe on the empty car.

HOBO PETE

It’s ok brother I’m not going to hurt you I was just letting you that there are others on this rail that ain't like me. I’m just an old geezer these guys they are young killers. I’m surprise they hadn't killed you yet. Don’t let them see you or your history. They don’t care who you are they’ll cut you.

FLAME

Who.

HOBO PETE

The FTRA. They will skin your ass and cook it.

Hobo Pete chuckles and walks out into another train and flame looks around him.

No comments: